This site is all about kindness but it’s important to remember what Buddha said: “If your compassion does not include yourself, it’s incomplete.”
Here are 10 great reasons to be kind to yourself:
- Your self-esteem will go up.
- It provides emotional strength and resilience.
- Your sense of deserving good things in life will go up.
- You will become kinder to other people.
- Kindness to yourself encourages more kindness – the ripple effect.
- You exchange self-hatred with self-kindness.
- You are better able to care for others when you feel good about yourself.
- It lowers feelings of anxiety and depression.
- It enhances your sense of belonging by helping you recognize, we all make mistakes, that makes us human.
- And best of all, you’ll feel happier overall.
Now that you know why it’s important to be kind to yourself, here are 10 ways to do that.
- Talk to yourself the way you would talk to someone you love.
- Set an intention to listen, watch or read more inspirational stories than negative news.
- Be grateful. Every morning list 3 things that you are grateful for. This creates a habit of looking for positive things in your daily life.
- Take time in your day to remember the good things you’ve done. Remember it’s the little things in life that can make a big difference. A kind word to someone, helping someone with packages, any small kindness act is a good thing you’ve done, acknowledge that.
- Exercise or take a nap. Both are good for you.
- Eat chocolate.
- Take a dog for a walk or snuggle a cat.
- Meditate. Try saying, “This is a moment of suffering. Suffering is a part of life. Let me be kind to myself at this moment. Let me give myself the compassion I need.”
- Set aside time to do whatever it is that makes you happy.
What are some things you do that make you happy? Let me know in the comment section below.
As always, I’d appreciate it if you would help me get the word out about the Matt Kurtz Kindness Award of $250 (nominate someone who inspires you) and the Matt Kurtz Kindness Grant of $250 (submit an act of kindness you would do with $250).